Sunday, June 17, 2007

Clay

In this short story about a woman named Maria, James Joyce gives us a character who is well loved and respected. He does this through the words of those with whom she lives and works as well as with the family she later visits. The matron said to her: " - - Maria, you are a veritable peace-maker!" (p. 1134). Living and working in the laundry shop, Maria is proud of her independence even though Joe "had wanted her to go and live with them . . . " (p. 1134).

Joyce's story is told from the position of a third person who is watching Maria as she moves through the evening and records her activities. The narrator seems to feel a benevolence toward Maria, as if to portray her as someone deserving of our sympathy...but who certainly doesn't desire it. We are shown Maria's emotions such as pride (in being well regarded) and confidence (in remaining independent), Maria is also portrayed as humble, somewhat shy and reluctant to speak up for herself. This is evidenced when she purchased the plumcake and the clerk became annoyed, yet Maria's reaction was to "blush and smile at the young lady . . . " (p. 1135). Again we see her reluctanct to firmly state her position when after expressing that she would rather not have a drink she tells us that " . . . but Joe insisted" (p. 1136).

The title of the story, Clay, is only explained in the footnote which explains the significance of choosing a plate with clay during a game played by the children. We are not told outright, but I inferred that Maria had indeed choosen the plate with the clay indicating that she would soon die. As we were told to expect, James simply stops the story; rather than giving us an ending. He leaves us to complete the story according to what we have learned of the characters, and it involves the reader in determining control of the story.

5 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Wanda,

A very sensible and sensitive reading of this less-than-clear story. Good focus on and analysis of the text.

Nichole said...

When I read this story, I did not find it very interesting at all. I thought it was boring and I do not know why people would have wanted to read something like this. I liked the way that you talked about the speaker viewpoint of Maria because I did not think of the story in a way where the speaker liked Maria and everything about her. This was a good posting because I personally found it hard to write about this story.

Kelly Pipkin said...

I like how you said that the reader had complete control over the story because of its vagueness at the end. I admired Maria in this story because she seemed to not have the greatest life, yet she still seemed very contempt. She seemed to have touched many lives as well which can be seen from Joe crying in the end. If I could guess, Maria probably dies shortly after because she really has nothing left in her life she needs to do. She has already touched many people and seems to be happy with her life and want nothing more. Good analyis!

Gloria Fletcher said...

Wanda, by reading your comments you've helped me understand what it was I have been reading all semester. Reading it on my own, I don't get it. Thanks

Billy Bishop said...

You know this was not the piece I wrote about for Joyce, but after reading your post I almost wish I had. There is something about your postings that just clear some things up some times, and the way you (I hate to say summarize, because it is often frowned upon) summarize and explicate these texts is excellent. I thin that is really what makes your posts great: your explications are always logical and follow closely to the text. I've really enjoyed reading your thoughts on all these different authors. You've really helped to make this class enjoyable.